Monday, May 7, 2012

Windows 7 on my graphics card?

i have a decently old pc, not a dinosaur, but not a new baby. it has xp, and everythings ready for windows 7 but my graphics card. i cannot upgrade it, it takes to long to explain. its only 64mb, and 7 requires 128 ATLEAST. i have read on numerous blogs of people running 7 on pentium II's, with 4mb graphics. think i can cheat my way in and run 7 on my computer? the psu was espeacially made by compaq, and only 175w. dont wanna buy a new pc, so think i can make it work? i dont need a gaming pc, just the occasional email, internet, instant messenger, itunes, and pictures. will i be able to make it in 7 with my 64mb video card?|||There are many computers made 10 years ago that will run Windows 7 complete with aero. usually all it needs to make it work is not any black magic or secret codes, just maybe a bit more RAM, or a better video card (I had it working fine on an fx5200 which people give away with corn flakes these days, but, at its time was a high end video card).



You may find that the 128 Mb limit will stop Windows 7 installing, but from memory ( I tried it on 3 old machines 6 months ago - it worked fine on all of them). If that is true then I am sorry. But 128 Mb was current 10 years ago. Video cards like the FX5200 (sold as 128 or 256) come up in garage sales for $5 all the time. And Windows 7 with aero runs beautifully on an old 128, almost as fast as XP.



That is why we now are certain that Vista was the Turkey we always thought it was.



A cheap PSU for ...Ooops, sorry, I just switched PCs to make a point.



The PC I'm on now is 9 years old. it was my main PC way back, and now works as a server for friends. The vid card is an old 128Mb FX5200. I bought it (new with 1 year guarantee)for $15 4 years ago. If I tried to sell that card now then people would laugh at me. But it works great. I've got a browser and e-mail working in the background, a damn good firewall and anti-virus, Emule and Microtorrent are chuntering away in the background. hey, it may be old, but it runs great! it quadruple boots XP, server 2003, server 2008, and Windows 7. I get to choose when it starts up. It runs great on all of them. I prefer XP, so that is the default, but you can change the default any time.



Download Everest Home Edition:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Syst…



Freeware. it will tell you all about your computer except the colour of the case.



Use that to make your old baby run like the wind.



Go to Black Viper's site to find out the rubbish you can turn off to make Windows 7 run faster. There are sections for XP, server 2003, server 2008, as well. Even Vista, though its hard to make that hunk of horse dung run well on anything less than the specail that Intel made for Obama.



http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/serv…



Don't knock or be ashamed of these old PCs. They work damn good.



10 years ago they were the workhorse computers in big banks and at Microsoft. They cost $2,000 a piece minimum.



Anyways, in those days a 175 watt PSU was fine, pretty big. Had 75 watts to spare. A computer like that can run Microsoft Office 2003 or lower with no problems. It will just be a bit slower than on an up-to-date quad core $1500 computer out of the shop. If the PSU has a problem you can get a new 400 watt Chinese one for $6 with a 3 year guarantee. They work fine.



Get an old 40GB or 80 GB hd and set it up as a slave, Install Windows 7 on it. I bet you it will work great and give you a choice when you boot of XP or Wiindows 7. If there are any problems just take the old drive out. It will still work, but Windows 7 will have gone.



As a precaution just back up any files you can't replace. Sometimes sugar happens.



Have an amazing time when you find out what that old baby can do when she's pushed! (oooh, I just copied 7 Gigs to my new one, she pushed it out in 5 minutes and it didn't even slow my browsing down! Wow!)



Technology is great. But just don't believe you need the latest. They got to the moon on 1960s stuff!|||May I make a revolutionary suggestion? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. XP is a perfectly adequate operating system for what you want to do. Why change?|||Like others said it should run but not the Aero. If I were you with that machine I would stick with XP. Just because it "will" run does not mean that you will be happy with how it runs.|||you need 128mb for AERO.



Windows 7 will work, but just not the AERO effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment