Monday, May 7, 2012

I need some help finding a video card for my laptop:?

Lately, my laptop has become somewhat of a gain laptop since I got The Orange Box off Steam lately. I've always had issues with lag and wondered why all these years. After I played through Half-Life 2, again, I finished episode 1 and then 2, but with a lot more lag in Episode 2. The same thing happened when I was playing Portal once more. I also got Garry's Mod, it lags when I put about roughly 20 or so rag dolls on screen at once, lots of explosions, etc. but it could be better. I could run games on high like Half-Life 2 and Gmod, but I have to run at around medium-low on games like the Sims 2-3 and games like Battle For Middle Earth 2, on maximum low with still quieter a bit of lag. However, here's the huge problem though once I began to play Team Fortress 2; massive lag. I put hate game on lowest, upgraded my internet, and am running in Direct X 8, and still have lag, even in offline matches. I might as well give you guys the stats so that you get the idea of what my computer it is like.



This is where the problem I have a feeling will drop in; it's a laptop: here's my specs:



Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium

Model Type: VGN-NS290J

4 Gigabytes of RAM

3.8 Windows Index

Intel Core Duo Processor T6400 @ 2.00 GHz

64-Bit-Op



And the big problem here:

64 MB 3D DirectX 7 compatible Video Card

Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family



Now, keep in mind, my internet (as stated above) is fine, it's not a big deal, I keep good care of my laptop, nice and secure and safe.



The big problem with what I've been noticing lately when I've been searching around is this; laptops are nearly impossible to upgrade in Video/Graphics Cards and my hopes have been getting lower and lower with each result.



My friend suggested to go to the site "Can You Run It", and these were my results on what my preferred two options should be in Video Cards:

http://www.amazon.com/GeForce-7900-GS-Gr…

and

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?h…



The only problem that I've looked for is that I was not sure if these cards are compatible with my laptop.

Keep in mind, I'm not stupid when it comes to computers, and I'd like to be able to play Team Fortress without having lag after every shot I make. And don't tell me any smart-*** answers like 'get it for 360/PS3 because I have it for 360 and love it, but I've been into Steam lately and want to be able to actually make it so it can actually run things. Thanks|||>Keep in mind, I'm not stupid when it comes to computers,



then you wouldn't be trying to cram pci-x videocards into a laptop. whatever site your friend recommended, proves your friend knows less about computers than you do. see the article below. you're pretty much stuck with whatever video card came with your laptop.



NVidia GeForce 7900 GS 256MB Video Graphics Card PCI-E x16 For *Desktop/Tower Systems*

Based on the PCI Express architecture, the ATI Radeon X1900 XT fits into the *doublewide slot on your Mac Pro* or a standard plus one adjacent standard PCI Express slot.|||The graphics/video card is a chip[ set made into the mother board on lap tops and not upgradeable or replaceable. The ones you listed are for desk tops and will not fit or work in lap tops.|||Why do you have intel 4 series graphics? the specifications of your model say that you have an ATI 3430.



If you really do have intel, then I don't know how you were playing those games at all but you can upgrade the entire motherboard to one with the ATI card.

Its expensive and not something for amateurs, but its very possible.



Although, you asked for a smarta** answer so, actually you can use those cards externally with your laptop. You just need to build a converter, which many people have done before, it would be a great DIY project.

But dont get one of those cards. They are horrible and old. Grab an ATI 5770.



Heres how its done: http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/418851-diy-vidock-experiences.html



Good luck! Don't listen to the other idiots who tell you everything is impossible! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment