Monday, May 7, 2012

What are 7 pin S-video cables for as opposed to 4 pin?

My video card has a 7 pin receptacle on it's s-video jack and my TV has a 4 pin jack on it's S-video jack. What are the 7 pins for and if I don't know, is it just wasted on me? Does it give any better quality video? If my TV only has 4 pins would 7 coming from the puter be silly.

Plus, I've currently got a 4 pin (both ends) S video cable connecting the video card to the TV. I can't get a DVD to play to the TV, only the Windows environment. I've tried lowering the resolution of the TV settings but no help. I notice another suggestion to lower resolution of the monitor... ???

In case you're wondering why I'd play a DVD on the puter instead of the DVD player, it's because it's a PAL DVD that only plays B&W on the NTSC DVD player, but in color on the puter. I knowwwww I need a new DVD player that plays PAL. But please humor me.|||4 pin s-video ports can only do s-video output, while 7 pin s-video ports have a composite signal along with the actual s-video signal. if you want only s-video and don't care about composite (your dvd player/tv/etc should only need s-video) both 4 and 7 pins are compatible and you can mix cables/jacks without a problem.



as far as your problems playing video on the tv, if your tv is using your computer resolution you might want to try lowering it to 1024x786, otherwise I'd guess it's some misc. video settings you have, I couldn't help you with that since I can't check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment