Monday, May 7, 2012

Video cards: nVidia or ATI?

I'm looking to upgrade my integrated graphics to a real card. I'm looking at two possibilities:

nVidia GeForce GT 240 (1GB)

or

ATI Radeon HD 5670 (1GB)



My specs of my computer:

(Custom-Built)

Motherboard: Asus (ATI Crossfire or nVidia SLI enabled)

CPU: AMD Phenom 2.5 GHz quad-core

RAM: 4GB

Integrated video card: ATI Radeon HD 4200

One PCI-e x16 slot

OS: Windows 7 Pro



From the source, I can get the cards for the same price. I am, however, wondering if I get the radeon, it will Crossfire link with the integrated graphics. Another question is the myth that AMD and ATI, when combined, run much faster.

I don't care about special features, I just want to know which will make my computer run better for current-gen games.|||The myth about ATi and AMD is just that, a myth.



The HD 4200 cannot hybrid crossfire with anything more powerful than a Radeon HD 4650 and it's not even really worth it.



At the price range you're looking, for pure performance for current gen games, you're looking at an nVidia GeForce 9800 GT.



Keep in mind that your power supply is an issue that you haven't considered because you didn't post the wattage. You need a 400W power supply except for the GT 240 which can use a 350W.|||The ATi is the way to go in my opinion. Its a newer supporting DirectX11 so it can take advantage of new tessellation features in some current and many future games. Plus the ATi card supports features like Eyefinity which allow you to game across multiple monitors. On top of extra features, the 5670 is a slightly better performer than the GT 240. I am not sure about the AMD-ATi myth but hey.....ATi is AMD's graphics division so its quite possible. Overall the 5670 is the better choice for games.|||Either one is going to get some serious awesomeness for current games. Now, the ATI card has better features, and nVidia has been lacking recently, so I'd go for the ATI card. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. But, I love ATI cards, and have preferred them to comparable nVidia cards.|||I agree with rofl4123 on this one, DX11, Eyefinity, and being slightly more powerful are the deciding factors. However, you cant do a crossfire with the 5670 and the 4200, 4xxx cards can only crossfire with 4xxx cards, and 5xxx cards with 5xxx cards. Hope this was helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment