Monday, May 7, 2012

Can I upgrade from 32 bit Windows Vista to 64 bit Windows 7?

Hi, my current PC has 32 bit Windows Vista, with all my hardware having 32 bit drivers. If I purchase a 64 bit version of Windows 7, and I wipe my hard drive clean, can I use it?



My question also includes hardware. After I wipe my hard drive clean and install 64 bit Windows 7, if I install 64 bit drivers for my existing hardware, will it work?



Here's my list of hardware:

Motherboard: NVIDIA eVGA nForce 750i SLI / NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

Video Card: NVIDIA eVGA GeForce 9800 GX2

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz

Printer: HP Deskjet F4200 Series



Thanks,

Mike|||Yes you have 64bit compatibility.|||First of all what you're asking is not upgrading. You'd be performing a clean install of Win7. Secondly, your drivers will be updated during the install of Win7, Ms did a good job to include these drivers. Although, I would check to see that your chipset and GPU drivers are up to date.



Finally, you have to make sure you have at least 2GB of ram for the 64bit OS. In fact I would try to get at least 4-6GB of RAM.|||if your processor is a 32bit processor then no you cannot run 64 bit as your processor is not powerful enough, 64 bit processors can run 32 but no other way around, run the windows 7 compatibility test

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/de…|||Sure, no problem. Both Vista and W7 have the ability to auto detect your hardware and download and install the appropriate drivers. Both are considerably more user friendly than XP was.

No comments:

Post a Comment