Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Computer upgrade to windows 7?

Hi, I have a Dell Dimension 200 currently running on XP. Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.20GHz 2.19GHz, 1.25 GB of RAM. Only thing that was added was a DVD Writer and 1 GB of RAM. So as you can tell.. its pretty outdated, but never gave me problems and I never really liked Vista, but I did try updating it straight to Vista but my video card couldnt find the drivers for Vista and the resolution was all out of whack (didnt even bother to check if anything else worked). I think this will happen with 7, but I recently bought a laptop and would like to connect the two via homegroup. Can you tell me what I would need in order to upgrade to windows 7? whether its more ram, new video card/soundcard, etc, etc.. Please help.|||Download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to find out if it is possible, it should run ok with your processor and ram, but you may have a problem with drivers so it`s best to check.



You will likely be advised to upgrade the ram, but i`ve run 7 with 1GB with no problems.|||Connecting a Windows 7 laptop to a XP machine can be quite annoying as XP has no part in Homegroup. You have to run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine and accept "file and printer sharing" when prompted, complete the wizard and reboot the PC.



To find the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections. Under Common Tasks on the left hand side, click Network Setup Wizard. This will allow your Windows 7 Laptop to see the XP machine and vice versa. Enjoy!|||Windows 7 should work with your old computer. I had problems with windows vista and my video drivers, but windows 7 worked wonderfully.



You can also connect the two machines without using the new homegroup feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment