Friday, April 20, 2012

Upgrading PC for Windows 7 PLEASE HELP!!!?

This took me a long time to write so please be nice and answer anything if you can. Just answer what you know.



I have an HP pavilion Athlon AMD 2.16 GHz



I am going to buy 2 gb of ram because its only around $30-60. This is a work computer. The graphics and speed of gaming doesnt matter to me. I am probably going to just buy the cheapest RAM that will work for my computer and Windows 7



this is where I am looking for RAM



http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?u…



there are alot of numbers and letters that are confusing. are all RAMs 200 pins? Should I be concerned with the DDR2? Should I be concerned with the 667 MHz?



I also need to know the following:



1) how do I check to see if my motherboard has enough slots for a ram upgrade?



2) what do i do with the old ram? I would rather just leave it in the computer and not deal with taking it out if I can. If I don't have any extra slots then Im just going to throw the old RAM away and put the new RAM in its place.



3) how do I know which 2 gb ram is right for my pc



I went into my device manager but I couldnt find anything that said RAM. I have 900 MB ram right now



4) what is the RAM called in the Device Manager?



5) I could probably find out if my motherboard supports more RAM by looking at the device manager. How would I find this out?



6) How do I install the RAM?



7) my video card is a nvidia geforce 6150 LE. does this video card work? I dont know if it is directx9 compatable. is it?



is there anything else that I need to know about installing RAM? Anything that I am missing?



thank you so much for the help and if you want to direct me to any youtube videos that would be cool.|||First of all, you'll want to go to HP.com and look-up your model number. i.e. Pavilion a1610n. Get into the specs sheet and see what type of ram you need.



You do need to be concerned with the type of memory because there is a difference between DDR and DDR2. DDR has 184-pins and DDR2 has 240-pins. You can't place DDR memory stick in a DDR2 slot.



Also, you'll want to buy memory that is the correct speed. For example DDR2 667 runs at 667mhz. You'll want to meet or exceed that speed.



You can also go to crucial.com and there is a system inspection program on their site that will tell you what memory you need. You can buy memory from crucial.com as well. They have very good memory but it is a little bit spendy.



There are also installation instructions on HP's website. You may want to get a cheap ESD wrist-strap for working inside of your computer. These are usually $5.



I think newegg.com is usually cheaper and more popular for PC parts than amazon.com. I'd check out newegg as well.



Yes, the geforce 6150 LE is a Direct X 9.0 graphics chip.



Usually, you either have to download CPU-Z or go to your BIOS to get information about your RAM. Although, I'm going to go out on a limb and bet your computer uses DDR2 533. I have a HP pavilion a1610n that has the same 6150 and an AMD CPU and it uses that DDR2 533 memory.



RUN >> DXDIAG will tell you how much memory is currently in your system, but it doesn't say what type it is.



I'd go to newegg.com to buy the memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment