Friday, May 4, 2012

What is wrong? BSOD with windows 7, nvidia 9800gt only with hulu.?

Hello all, first off, thank you for answering this. I recently decided to upgrade my pc a little bit. I bought a new motherboard and power supply. Now on windows 7 I am getting BSOD (although it only shows once, and never again, just freezes now) when I play hulu. It seems random, I can sometimes watch a entire episode of something and sometime get 3 min into another and it then freezes. I have done every test I can think of, and eventually figured out that it was the video card. I rma'd it and it is still doing the same thing. Any information on this would be appreciated. Here is all that I have done to check.



Wipe and reinstall windows 7.

Uninstall video drivers tried 3 different versions (using latest currently).

Updated chipset drivers.

Ran memtest, and windows 7 built in memory check.

Several anti-virus/anti-spyware scans.

Uninstall/reinstall firefox/adobe flash player.

That is all that I can think of, but I could have left some things out.



I will note, two things. I do not seem to have any problem with any games or anything else. Also when I installed a backup video card (nvidia 8400gs) I had no problems at all.



I am leaning towards power supply, but I have no real way of testing it. The reason why I am thinking this is because the backup video card did not need external power from the power supply. I am 100% certain it is not a cooling issue (read relevant computer specs).



Relevant computer specs:



Windows 7 64 bit ultimate.

Asus p5n-t deluxe

Intel core 2 quad q9550

Ocz ddr2 800 2, 2gb dual channel(ocz2g8002g)

Evga nvidia 9800gt 512mb

Ocz 700 watt power supply (OCZ700MXSP)



*cooling*



Antec 300 mid-tower case. Full fans. Aftermarket HS/F for processor and video card (tested video card with stock hs/f) All running very cool.



Thanks again for looking at this posting, if I left anything out let me know. I do not know what else I can test or do.|||Does the BSOD screen pause long enough for you to get any information from it? Having the actual error would be of great help. So far with your description, it appears that the newer video card has some sort of conflict with the computer or possibly that you don't have all the power connectors plugged in. There should be some PCIe power connectors (2x2 pins) that need to plug into the motherboard.



Another note (I am assuming that the MB and video card are the ones listed below), there is a 6 pin (3x2) power connector on the back of the video card, make sure this has power, if not, this could be causing your errors because it could be that the video card is underpowered.



If you need more help after that, let me know, my email should be on my profile, if not, then email me at steven peterson at ameritech dot net (without spaces or anything). If this works, glad to help.|||I have a P5NE SLI motherboard

When I installed Windows 7 64 bit I started getting BSOD's

I went to ASUS and got the latest BIOS update and the BSOD's went away

I believe you need the P5N-T Deluxe BIOS 1702

http://support.asus.com/download/downloa…



Video Streaming requires a lot of ram

You should upgrade to 4GB

Get the same kind you have and use Dual Channel Configuration

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard…

No comments:

Post a Comment