Sunday, May 6, 2012

Windows 7 will not sleep or shutdown fully.?

Here's the deal. I just upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on my desktop. I found that during the installation it was having trouble shutting down properly, meaning it would freeze at "shutting down" and I would have to do a hard shutdown (hold the power button until it turns off). So I finally get it installed and I search for and download updates with windows update and again i have to do a hard shutdown near the end because it was stuck on it's shutdown routine for about 20 minutes. I start to get nervous and do some research once it starts back up. I read that I should make sure my drivers are up to date, especially my video card. So i find and install the driver update for my video card, which requires another restart and hard shutdown. That didn't do the trick. So I was gonna give it a rest and just sleep my computer and come back. When I hit "sleep" my monitor clicked off but my computer was still running. Clicked the mouse and keyboard and it didn't come back on. Another hard shutdown. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Triple checked all my power settings. including the multimedia allowing my comp to sleep option.

2. Updated as many drivers as I could.

3. Downloaded a hotfix that should fix the problem, but no luck there

What I'm hoping is that I installed the hotfix to the wrong location. I couldn't find any information on where the hotfix should actually be installed, so I installed in to it's default locale "C".

If anyone has any additional information about this hotfix or this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I'm hoping it is as simple as installing the hotfix in the correct location.

Thank you in advance.|||If you're having issues like that from the get-go, I'd personally back up everything needed, and go back and do a fresh install of Windows 7. If you did the "upgrade" option coming from Vista, there's likely something left over from Vista that's creating issues -- old antivirus software... something.



Back up and clean install.

No comments:

Post a Comment